California Historic Landmarks

Placerville - Overland Pony Express Route in California

Site Information

site photo
Landmark Number: 701
Location: Southwest corner of Main and Sacramento Streets, El Dorado County
Marker Plaque: Official State Plaque

Description

Gold rush town and western terminus of the Placerville-Carson Road to the Comstock, Placerville was a relay station of the Central Overland Pony Express from April 4, 1860 until June 30, 1861. Here on April 4, 1860, the first eastbound pony rider, William (Sam) Hamilton, changed horses, added an express letter to his mochila, and sped away for Sportsman's Hall. Placerville was the western terminus of the Pony Express from July 1, 1861 until its discontinuance on October 26, 1861
From California Historic Landmarks

photo
The offical state marker plaque.

 

Map

View larger map


Home Sites Visited in El Dorado County