California Historic Landmarks

Site of First Posted Water Notice

Site Information

Marker Plaque With The Glenn-Colusa Irrigation District Main Pump Station in the Background
site photo
Landmark Number: 831
Location: Approximately 1350 feet southeast of Cutler and 1st Ave, 3.7 miles North of Hamilton City, Glenn County
Marker Plaque: one or more plaques placed by civic organizations or other groups

Description

The first water notice in California was posted near this spot on December 18, 1883.

From California Historical Landmarks:

Coming via Panama, William Semple Green (1832-1905) arrived in San Francisco on October 10, 1849 and in Colusa County on July 6, 1850. He was a ferryboat captain, mail carrier, surveyor, editor, writer, legislator, Surveyor General of the United States, California State Treasurer, irrigationist, and friend of man. On December 18, 1883, on an oak tree on the west bank of the Sacramento River immediately east of this spot, he posted the first water notice, stating that 500,000 miner's inches of river water was being diverted for irrigation of lands on the west side of the Sacramento Valley.

photo
The Marker Plaque Located Near Where the Notice was Posted.

 

Map

View larger map


Home Sites Visited in Glenn County