California Historic Landmarks

Saratoga

Site Information

site photo
Landmark Number: 435
Location: Southeast Corner of Intersection of State Highways 9 and 85, Saratoga, Santa Clara County
Marker Plaque: Official State Plaque

Description

From California Historical Landmarks:

The Anza exploring party passed through the Saratoga area March 25, 1776. Lumbering in the mountains, which began in 1847 and continued many years, brought the area's first settlers in 1850. Among other industries established were a lime quarry (1850s), grist mill (1854), tannery (1863), paper mill (1868), and paste-board mill (1870). Pacific Congress Springs was a popular resort from 1866 to 1942. Farmers here pioneered in fruit industry and held Blossom Festivals beginning in 1900, after the end of a drought.

photo
Official State Marker Plaque

 

Map

View larger map


Home Sites Visited in Santa Clara County