City Hall sits on the site of the first building in present day Stockton.
The official marker plaque:
In 1844, the first settlers arrived at Rancho del Campo de los Franceses. One of the company, Thomas Lindsay, built the first dwelling, a tule hut. He was later murdered by Indians and buried here by travelers. The point was formed by the junction of McLeod's Lake and Miners Channel.